The global fashion e-commerce industry in 2019 had reached $ 531.25 billion and is predicted to reach $672.71 billion soon in 2023. If we take a look at the statistics, while the pandemic had negatively affected fashion e-commerce initially leading to a negative annual growth rate in 2020, the industry is and will be completely recovering. This makes it obvious that consumers are increasingly becoming dependent upon online stores for buying clothes.
A switch from offline to online can prove to be somewhat challenging. Especially if you are a fashion lover and have been used to purchasing physically. You may be loving the complete shopping experience, feel the need to see, touch, and try on clothes before you make a purchase. However, while online shopping provides a lot of conveniences and money-saving opportunities. all these experiences are lost. But don’t you worry, following a few tips & tricks, you can easily become a pro at online shopping. To know them, read ahead.
5 tips and tricks for buying clothes online like a pro:
- Look at your wardrobe & measurements: For buying clothes, begin with knowing your measurement – the bust/chest, waist, hip, neck, length, etc. Note your body type and find out what type of clothes will look better on you. This will give you an idea of what type & size of clothes you should purchase. Also, check out your wardrobe – look at the brands of clothes you have, which brand you wear often, what is the size you need for a particular brand if there is a particular material whose dresses you like to wear (if in doubt about the material, check out the detail of the material on the label), etc.
With this inspection, you’ll know what you have, what you can buy, which brand & size & material to look out for.
- Set your limit: Perhaps the most prevalent side effect of online buying is that you fall prey to sales & discounts and do impulsive shopping – resulting in buying clothes that you don’t need, may not even wear, and simply stuff your wardrobe, and you spend a lot of money on them to top it off.
Remember, a pro will have a decluttered wardrobe – they know exactly what they need in their wardrobe and make purchases accordingly
- Purchase for a capsule wardrobe: It is always a good idea to have a capsule wardrobe filled with basic and classic clothes & accessories that you can match up and coordinate to form different looks. The basic tees, the white/black shirt, classic black/brown leather bag/boot/belt, jacket, a Little Black Dress, black high-heeled boots, a basic cardigan, etc. You need these basics to up your looks, also remember to have some pop of color within your wardrobe (for example red stilettos) to enhance your look
- Check the product info, images, reviews & return policy: Be sure to read the complete product description to know the material, the measurements, the size chart, the cuts, the style, etc. well. Check out the photos (buy from the sites that provide quality photos of the clothes) & videos. If possible, look out for lifestyle or inaction photos i.e., models/people wearing the clothes to better understand how they’ll look on you. Similarly, check out the reviews & ratings for the product & seller as well as the return policy before making a purchase decision.
- Keep a tailor handy & be flexible: Understand that the product you receive will not be exactly as what you see in the images. There are chances of a slight difference in color and/or the fit, you need to be flexible about it. Also, remember the sizes offered are in general and are not an exact fit to your body type. So, you may want to keep a tailor handy to get your clothes altered to fit you better.
Rome was not built in a day. Understand that it’ll take time and experience for you to shop online like a pro. Nevertheless, follow our tips & tricks, and keep on experiment & experiencing.